Facial rollers are tools used in a massage-type manner to improve the appearance of the skin. Facial rolling serves several purposes in skincare aiming to clear the skin, reduce puffiness, smooth texture, and drain excess fluid. Facial rollers are an addition to your current facial routine. Certain types of rollers are meant to work in conjunction with the serums, moisturizers and creams that you already use. Other having varying textures and designed made to benefit the skin.
The origin of the facial roller goes as far back as 17th century China. Jade face rollers were used to purify the face and remove toxins. There are other smooth crystal-based rollers with unique benefits that attribute to Chinese culture. More on this topic in “The Benefits of the Stones“. Renown New York Beauty Guru Ling Chan, of Ling Skincare is credited as one of the pioneers in the facial roller revival of the 21st century.
In This Article
What do Facial Rollers do?
Typical facial rollers feature a a wide roller on the top meant for larger areas of the face, like the cheeks, and a smaller roller at the base for smaller and more narrow areas of the face like the under eye. The rollers are used for reducing puffiness, increasing blood circulation, improving skin appearance, and easing pain.
The motion of rolling the cool stone on your face helps with lymphatic drainage. Lymphatic fluid, is typically what caused facial puffiness in the morning when you wake up in the morning.
While lymphatic drainage occurs naturally, smooth rolling helps speed the process leading the lymphatic fluid back to the lymph nodes. On the face there are lymph nodes located at the bottom of the nose, inside the mouth, behind the ears, and in the jawline.
Increase Blood Flow
Facial massaging increases blow flow to the face by causing by stimulating movement in the face. Naoyuki Hayashi of the Institute for Liberal Arts, Tokyo Institute of Technology coducted a study with colleagues on the usage of facial rollers. They found that prolonged usage improved vasodilation. Vasodilation is the dilation of blood vessels, which means the blood cells widen and decreases blood pressure.
Improve Skin appearance
Rollers are also used in conjunction with serums, moisturizers, creams, and /or with a sheet mask. The roller helps with the distribution product and potential absorption by the skin. When combined with anti aging ingredients like collagen and antioxidants, the facial roller can potentially increase the efficacy of the product
Rollers commonly have a jade stone in them which is naturally cooling. To optimize their cooling effect, these rollers are often kept chilled in a skincare fridge. The sensation of rolling the cool stone is soothing and helps to relieve soreness from eye pain, headaches, and swelling.
The Benefits of the Stones
While facial rollers play a role in skin care many are drawn to them because of their spiritual meanings. Facial rollers are aesthetically crafted using semi-precious stones. Each individual stone has a meaning to it. The different types of stones used in facial rollers include but are not limited to;
- Jade – Used to detoxify and remove bad energy. Jade is used to protect and promote self sufficiency.
- Rose quartz – Promotes Peace and Love. Rose Quartz is related to the heart chakra which is linked to stress.
- Amethyst – Stimulates relation in the mind and body. Amethyst is used to help sooth emotions and clear a clouded mind.Obsidian – Helps to clear your spiritual aura.
- Obsidian – Helps to clear your spiritual aura. Obsidian is meant to protect you from negative energy and promote prosperity.
- Tigers’s Eye – Relieves you from fear and anxiety. Tiger’s eye is used to make make decision giving you discernment and peace of mind.
- Red Jasper – Promotes energy and strength. Red Jasper is identified as grounding stone and is used for healing.
- Aventurine – Increases energy flow in the body and releases negativity. Aventurine has been linked to healing ailments in the lungs and sinuses. This stone is also connected to intelligence and perception.
The spiritual attributes of the stones are not something that has been scientifically endorsed or proven. There is still a level of placebo that has shown the usage of these stones to be beneficial to those who use them. Regardless, the rollers themselves do serve their purpose functionally as a tool for improving your skincare routine.