Keep your skin looking healthy and beautiful for as long as possible… that’s the goal, right?
I mean, who doesn’t love smooth, glowing skin??
Life gets in the way and sometimes we end up with “11’s” between the eyes as deep as the Grand Canyon or dry, rough skin that prevents makeup from being smoothly applied. Our skin may look dull, saggy and even suffer from breakouts and wrinkles at the same time as we age.
It’s a battle but you do know the best way to win a battle, right?
When you are prepared, meaning you have the knowledge and tools to help you achieve your goals, you generally have a really great chance at success!
So, let’s talk about being prepared with the battle of aging skin…
Like any good boy scout will tell you, you must have the “10 essentials’ with you at all times when out on an adventure. Since we are speaking about the greatest adventure of all, LIFE, we will use their philosophy and will always be prepared. Here are the 10 essentials of skin care to help your skin be healthy and fight the signs of aging:
- Cleanser appropriate for your skin type. Don’t use any old product. You must do your research and find one that is compatible with your skin or you will be causing more harm than good.
- Toner to follow your cleanser. Some people say this is optional. For me, it is absolutely essential. I use it day and night on my décolleté, upper back, neck and face. I don’t feel clean without it. Again, find an appropriate one for you skin type.
- Serum to correct your biggest skin concern. If you have acne, you’ll want one that helps with breakouts. If you have hyperpigmentation, you’ll want one with a lightening agent. Glycolic Acid will work wonders on dull skin and peptides help rebuild collagen in wrinkled skin. Speak with a skin care specialist for personalized recommendations.
- Y-Zone Cream. The Y zone is your jawline, neck and décolleté. This area is often neglected and, along with the back of our hands, gives away our age even if our face is smooth and glowing. With the multiple hours we spend on our smartphones, looking down, necks around the world are becoming prematurely wrinkled, not to mention the damage from the sun when we forget to apply sunscreen to the area before we walk out the front door. Do yourself a favor and get a special product for the area so you don’t forget to apply it during your skin care routine.
- Eye Cream. The area around the eye is delicate. It is the first area to get wrinkles (hello, crows feet) and yet women go about their day without eye cream! Be proactive and gently apply eye cream!
- Moisturizer with SPF. I love using a product that keeps my skin moisturized and protected from the sun. I also buy foundation that has SPF because I don’t want to wear a hat all the time but want my face protected. It is easier to protect my skin from damage than it is to reverse the damage. I didn’t always think that way… I use to bake in the sun and loved a golden glow but I regret it now! So now, I do what I can to protect my skin from the sun.
- Water- lots of it. Have you seen the experiment where the woman drinks 3 liters of water a day for 4 weeks. Her face looks so soft and healthy at the end of her experiment. Toxins have been cleared out, skin has been plumped, energy has been restored and I’m pretty sure her mood has been enhanced all from water consumption. Even if 3 liters is out of the question for you, work on increasing your intake!
- Raw food. I don’t even have to explain this one but will, just in case you question it. Eat your fruits and veggies… and don’t cook them! Eat a large variety. Like water, they will help detox your system and they will give your body much needed nutrients! Almonds are also amazing for the skin and hair. Opt for the raw unsalted or lightly salted kind.
- Sleep. SO IMPORTANT. As a busy woman who also works from home in a side hustle or full time gig, I know you know that sleep is important. I also know that you don’t get as much as you should because you are up working for hours late into the night. Set a timer, STOP and go to bed. I function best on 8-10 hours of sleep. Seven is barely enough and 6 simply won’t do. Know your limits.
- Joy. Not typically on the list of skin care essentials but can we just be real for a moment? If you don’t have joy in your life, your skin can be well cared for but it is not going to look or feel beautiful to you. It will look stressed, sad, neglected. It takes more muscle power to frown than it does to smile. Find what brings you joy and make sure you have plenty of it in your life to help you have that happy, youthful glow!
There you have it… Your 10 Skin Care Essentials for Aging Skin.
My challenge to you:
Adopt the 10 essentials I shared here. Take a “before” picture and an “after” picture 30 days AND 60 days after consistently taking good care of your skin. I know you’ll see a difference!
“Beautiful skin requires commitment, not a miracle.”Erno Laszlo